Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Definitely Satisfied My Hunger!



Review: The Hunger Games Series
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Young Adult, Adventure
Page Count: Hunger Games 384 Pages, Catching Fire 400 Pages, Mockingjay 400 Pages
Rating: 5/5


Book One’s Description:

The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a wealthy Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected at random and forced to participate in the Hunger Games, a televised event where the participants, or "tributes", must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains.

My Review:

There was a lot of hype surrounding this series and I had people everywhere telling me to read them. Of course me being a baby when it comes to cliffhanger endings, I paced sat waiting patiently to read them back-to-back.

Result: Favorite series of the year! I think I would have loved reading them as they came out as well, but it was great getting lost in the story and not having to wait to find out how it all ended!

The dystopian society was totally believable and set a perfect backdrop for Katniss’ story. I won’t give too much away but here are the things I loved most about this series:

1) Katniss; she's strong, self-sacrificing, and smart. She's a confident and bad-ass female lead that had me wishing I had that kind of strength.

2) Panem; the world that was created for these characters to live (and die) in was brimming with details, bringing it to life for the reader. Suzanne didn’t skimp out on anything. Every aspect of the world; from the districts, to the Capitol, and especially the arenas was laid out so beautifully (even the grimy parts) that I was submerged into the atmosphere of the story and couldn’t stop thinking about it even once I put the last book down.

3) The portrayal of the people from the Capitol; they weren’t all bloodthirsty monsters. The “bad guys” didn’t always know that what they were doing was wrong. Suzanne portrayed a very (in my opinion) realistic view of how far from humanity people can go when blinded by the propaganda and fear-conditioning of a controlling government or leadership.

You'll like this series if you liked:

Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld, Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell, or The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy by Kristin Cashore.


My Rating: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment